Subject: TU58 protocol (Was Re: Newbie question)
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Brian Murray <brian@proximity.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/1997 20:12:11
>   The TU58 is, however, a *very* simple beast.  It communicates via a
> serial line using a very simple protocol.  It'd be trivial to emulate
> that with pretty much any computer with a serial port running a little
> program.

Does anyone have the specs for this protocol? If so, this opens up two
possibilities :

1) The ability to use a PC as a fake TU58 drive to bootstrap a 750 or 730

2) The ability to read/write to an extracted TU58 drive mechanism to create
   boot tapes. Since I have such a drive, it would be fun to see if I can
   talk to it.

If I can get the specs, I might try knocking up a Linux program or two.
Then, I could offer to create TU58 boot tapes for folks if needed, provided
they pay for media and postage. (Can you still get TU58 tapes or equivalent?)

I now have a '730 (as well as a '750), and wouldn't mind seeing NetBSD run on
it too...

Brian.

--
Brian Murray     brian@proximity.com.au     http://www.proximity.com.au/~brian/