Subject: Re: next iteration
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 13:53:32
Allison J Parent wrote:

> I've given up on 1.1a and 1.2c and 1.2g, those from my perspective don't
> work and are near impossible to install if you do have a PC running unix(I
> don't). I've given up on getting freebsd/linux/netbsd running on the PCs
> I have as they are old and either the CDrom is not supported or the
> disksystem isn't working to the liking of the particular *nix.

  We had this discussion a long time ago; I did the install from RX50 using
another uVax running Ultrix, but it was a real pain.

> So at present I'm waiting to see what the next 1.3 interation will bring.
> In the mean time to make the systems useful I've init'ed the disks and
> reloaded vms5.4 which runs nicely and got my network up.  The next step is
> getting CMU-ip going for IP capability.  then I will be considering either
> the MV-II or VS2000 with RD54 as the target for the next try.

  Sounds fair.  If there are RX50/TK50 images of 1.3 released (I would expect
that there would be) and if you can get them onto your VMS machine you should
be able to write out tapes.  I don't recall what experiences you had with that
last time so forgive me if there's some obvious reason why it won't work.

> Why bother?   At one point I wanted the PCs, PDP-11s and the vaxen all
> running one OS and unix was the only choice.  The however is that the
> more I know the better RT-11 looks as unix does not fit in any small
> PDP-11.

  Hah!  I've run 2.9BSD on a Professional/350.  You want slow?  You got it!  ;)

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/