Subject: next iteration
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 11:45:34
I've given up on 1.1a and 1.2c and 1.2g, those from my perspective don't
work and are near impossible to install if you do have a PC running unix(I
don't). I've given up on getting freebsd/linux/netbsd running on the PCs
I have as they are old and either the CDrom is not supported or the
disksystem isn't working to the liking of the particular *nix.

So at present I'm waiting to see what the next 1.3 interation will bring.
In the mean time to make the systems useful I've init'ed the disks and
reloaded vms5.4 which runs nicely and got my network up.  The next step is
getting CMU-ip going for IP capability.  then I will be considering either
the MV-II or VS2000 with RD54 as the target for the next try.

If I can't do it off the VMS base or Dos/winders3.1 base where I have
known solid systems runnning I may lose interest.  Why?   Unix is not
where my strong knowlege base is and doing things from that OS puts me
in the position of knowing it can be done and having nothing to refer
to on how (especially the fine points).

Why bother?   At one point I wanted the PCs, PDP-11s and the vaxen all
running one OS and unix was the only choice.  The however is that the
more I know the better RT-11 looks as unix does not fit in any small
PDP-11.  Besides try and get a unix for PDP-11s.  DOS/winders is the
defacto standard for PCs, especially if you want your devices supported.
Same problem for VAXen, to many devices not supported.

Allison