Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 11:45:18
<I don't think that any of the VAX-11/7xx series can be MOP loaded: as far a
<know, the BOOT58 code does not support it. Of course, I don't have an 11/7x
<here to try this on so I could be wrong.  Keep in mind the only thing the
730/750 supported was getting enough microcode loaded, to load a boot
for something!

Yes they can but you need the right booter!  The tu58 loads microcode and
your choice of device boot.  There were device boots for non disk devices.
(how else could you boot and use a 725!

<I would be amazed if it supported booting over a synch or asynch DDCMP.

Why not most all the qbus-11s support it!  Check the BDV-11, 11/23B and
11/73 boot options.  It was possible but I can't think of many that
used it.

<On a VAX-11/730 with no access to a disk drive, your only option is TU58, A
<- and having used TU58 on a VAX-11/750, I know how bad that is!

Without a disk it's useless.  The tu58 is there to load microcode, load the
booter and diags if needed.  It was available as a general mass storage
device but with a rewind time of 30sec is want not meant to be fast.

<The CPU is quite different, so if it works it's plain luck.

It's not that different.  I believe there was emulation of some of the
floating formats and a few infrequently used instructions but a lot of the
small vaxen did not run the full instruction set.

Allison