Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Tom Guptill <tgpt@pas.rochester.edu>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 15:18:49

> >How to boot such a beast? The only way is to boot from the TU58 tapes.
> >A 730 cannot boot from directly from ethernet, but if the program
> >loaded from the TU50 contains code to load a kernel via the network
> >then it will work. But first, you must have a TU58 tape.
>
> I was always told that about the 11/750 as well.  However, we got one that
> was being discarded by the chem department when I was an undergrad.  We
> plugged it in, turned it on, and it happily booted VMS from its disk.  Is

No, that doesn't apply to 11/750. If you are running VMS, you normally
have some microcode updates loaded from the TU58, but booting from disk
can be done as normal. NetBSD on 750 does not need any TU58's; instead if
the microcode needs to be patched the boot program loads the new microcode
from the root filesystem in the master disk; a file called pcs750.bin.
There are four prom's on one of the processor boards, each of them are
corresponding to how you set one switch in the front.

To boot up a 750 from scratch; I think that it would be nice if someone
wrote a small assembly code hunk that could be loaded in to the console
by typing it in by hand, and that init any ethernet interface, or whatever.

-- Ragge