Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Nevyn <snowcrash@usa.net>
From: Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1997 01:24:50
> That gives me a pretty dim veiw of the performance of the 11/730. How
> easy/cheap is it to pick up an 11/750 or 11/780.  How about something faster?
> How much of the components are interchangable?  Do the drives and all have
> to be scrapped?

If you're looking for an easy cheap VAX box to learn on, I can't say
anything could be easier in vax terms than a Vaxstation 3100... the
M30's have problems but the M76's rock so I hear...  I have an M30 and
am amazed at its performance...  I've heard stories of people picking up
low-ish end VS3100 systems (50mb/100mb HD's,

But you will need another unix (I've used FreeBSD myself) to boot
from... Some Linux distribuitions have troubles tho (Slackware 3.3 w/
2.1.57 kernel did for me)

JS