Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: James E. Carpenter <jimc@zach1.tiac.net>
From: Nevyn <angry-psycho@usa.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1997 17:25:05

>No. It can't. :-( I wish it could 'cause I have one too.
>
>For UNIX I think your _only_ options are Ultrix and 4.3BSD-Reno. (Please
>correct me if I'm wrong!) Unfortunately I have neither. :-(

It seems the 11/730 is not very popular.  How hard is it to come about
operating systems for these?  I assume they are only available second hand?

>BTW, an 11/730 is much more fun to play with if you have a UNIBUS expander
>box. The required cards along with the maximum memory (which is also really
>required) take up all the slots in the backplane. :-( Oh yeah, having a tape
>drive doesn't hurt either.

Is there any practical use of a VAX other than the sheer joy of owning and
operating one?  Not to say the enjoyment isn't worth keeping it around, but
I really know little of their uses these days.  I am curious as to what use
one can be put to commercially.

Also, is there any kind of "VAX for Beginners" book/faqs?  I would love to
some kind of an overveiw as to the general operations and components, etc...
Any luck?  Or am I trying to learn black magic??? :)

	Daniel

PS - thanx for your help so far, I am impressed with the helpfulness of
     this list