Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: None <angry-psycho@usa.net>
From: Andy Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1997 10:32:17
angry-psycho@usa.net wrote:

>     OK, I hate to sound stupid, but I have absolutely no experience with a VAX.  I am a typical Novell/NT kinda guy, however I was recently given a DEC 11/730 VAX.  So basically here are my questions...
>
>  1) Can NetBSD run on an 11/730?
>  2) Is this worth the time to set up for NetBSD?
>  3) What are some good refrences for getting familiar with the machine.

You might hit the web-server that is at www.netbsd.org and hit
Gunnar's documentation.  It lists the compatible hardware.  I cannot
recall if 11/730 is supported. I think so, but check.

As to whether it is worth the time... I hate to see a good computer
(though slow!) go to waste, so it if it is a matter of what is this
&^%^$*^$*$ un*x???!  Then I say more power to you and it is a worth-
while endeavor.  Otherwise, I would suggest some more potent equipment.
(It seems like there are a lot of bigger Vaxen readily available.  I
got a loaded 3500 for about $300).

Regards

Andy