Subject: Re: Miniroot?
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Brian Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/15/1997 22:27:03
On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, maximum entropy wrote:
> >From: Brian Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>

> >It is my understanding that SCSI support on the VS3100's is only
> >functional on the VS3100/M76.  I haven't had any luck labeling a SCSI disk
> >on either my M30 or M38.

> Have you tried kludging the SCSI driver to use PIO only, as I posted
> about a while back?  It does seem to work, it's just real slow.

Thanks for the reminder.  The changes you suggested worked just fine.  I/O
is pretty slow, something around 40K/s for both read and write to my SCSI
disk, but it does in fact allow you to run disklabel and newfs.

I wonder what the significant differences are between the VS3100/38+30 vs
the VS3100/76?  There are both using the same NCR chipset right?  The only
difference between the 76 that I'm aware of are that in the 30 and 38, the
SCSI controller is provided on an add in card.  The 76 has the controller
integrated into the system board.

Obviously there are some additional functional differences with how the
integrated controllers and seperate controllers operate.  Where do you
even begin to find the hardware design specifics for these types of things
anymore?

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --