Subject: Re: PDP11 unix
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG, wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
From: Steven M. Schultz <sms@wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/14/1997 11:00:54
John -

	Howdy.

> From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
>
> I have no idea about that, but last I heard Steve Schultz was still heavily
> supporting 2.11BSD, so even if that's the last name the OS will have, it is
> still marching forward.  It's been quite a while since the 20th anniversary...

	I'd like to call it 2.12BSD but I'm not sure I have the imprimateur
	for that.  Besides which it's a lot of work to go thru the source
	tree and change all the references ;)

	Indeed it has been a while since the 20th anniversary (1990, or was it
	1991?).  Since the initial release of 2.11 in '91 or '92 there've been
	a "few" changes/updates made.

	The current /VERSION file is attached below.  While it's not NetBSD
	or Vax related it does seem to fit in with the current discussion.

	Happy reading.

	Steven Schultz

-------------------------------------
Current Patch Level: 392
Date: October 7, 1997

2.11 BSD
============
NOTE --
	This would have been the third release of 2.10BSD; but since
	the filesystem has changed and a coldstart is required
	this release was instead called: 2.11BSD

	Work on this release has been on going since the initial
	release of 2.10.1BSD in January 1989.  This release,
	is in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the PDP-11.

	This release incorporates all fixes and changes posted
	to the group comp.bugs.2bsd on the newsnet since 2.10.1BSD
	was released.

	Present in this release are several more missing pieces
	from the 4.3BSD distribution:

		1) the kernel logger (/dev/klog)

		2) the namei cache

		3) readv(2)/writev(2) as system calls rather than
		   emulation/compatibility routines

		4) the shadow password implementation released for 4.3BSD

		5) a TMSCP (TK50/TU81) driver with standalone support
		   (bootblock and standalone driver)

		6) a couple more network drivers have ported or made to
		   work:  if_vv and if_acc

		7) the portable ascii archive file format (ar(1), ar(5)) has
		   been implemented.

		8) last, but most importantly, long filenames!

		   This last is the reason a coldstart kit is necessary.  The
		   on-disc directory structure has been ported from 4.3BSD
		   (along with the utilities that know about on-disc
		   directories via the raw filesystem: fsck, ncheck, icheck,
		   dcheck, etc.) and is not compatible with previous versions
		   of UNIX for the PDP-11.  A limited amount of backward
		   compatibility is present in a version of dump(8) which
		   can read old filesystems.  restor(8) automagically converts
		   old dump tapes to the new format on input.

		   MAXNAMLEN is now 63 instead of 14.  It is possible the
		   limit could be higher, but with MAXPATHLEN at 256 a
		   MAXNAMLEN of 63 was judged sufficient.

	MANY other fixes and changes have also been made, see the
	"Changes To The System" document which describes the changes
	made to both the kernel and the application programs.

	Steven M. Schultz
	GTE Government Systems
	112 South Lakeview Canyon Road
	Thousand Oaks CA 91359
	sms@wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com

	Below is the original VERSION file distributed with 2.10.1BSD
NOTE --
	This is the second release of 2.10BSD; most of the changes
	are part of the addition of supervisor space networking in
	the kernel, although there are other changes.

	To give some idea of the dates involved, distribution of
	2.10BSD by the USENIX Assoc. started in fall of 1987.
	Distribution of this source started in January of 1989.

Keith Bostic
Casey Leedom
Cyrus Rahman
Steven Schultz