Subject: Re: Vax up and running!
From: Brian Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/13/1997 14:29:23
On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On October 13, Jacob Suter wrote:

> > So far so good...  sitting at a single user prompt fixing to label and
> > newfs the hard drives up to run...  I've found this unit only has 16mb ram
> > (bummer) but I am sure one of the other three VS3100s here have more...

It's probably worth mentioning that the VS3100's don't netboot with more
than 16Megs of RAM.  :-/   At least not yet.

>   Just to put your mind at ease here...16mb on a VAX processor is very
> reasonable...The VAX is a highly-CISC machine, and as such, it's very

I prefer the terminology Ultra-CISC to describe the VAX architecture.
It's far more fashionable than vanilla CISC.  The Ultra just gives it
that late 90's flavor of marketing hipness.

"Check out my wickedly complex Ultra-CISC MicroVAX II.  Bet your Pentium
II 300MHz can't crank out 0.9 VUPS like this baby can!  RISC is passe,
Ultra-CISC is where it's at man."

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --