Subject: Re: Vax up and running!
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Jacob Suter <jsuter@moon.intrastar.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/13/1997 16:09:09
>   Just to put your mind at ease here...16mb on a VAX processor is very
> reasonable...The VAX is a highly-CISC machine, and as such, it's very
> memory-efficient.  I've found that, under normal operating conditions,
> 16mb on a VAX acts more like 24mb or maybe even 32mb on a SPARC or
> other common RISC processor.  For normal applications, 16mb should be
> quite reasonable.  More is, of course, always better, but you
> shouldn't feel pain without it. :-)

Well so far it hasn't gone into swap...  I dunno if it even mounted the
swap file :)

> > Well, I'm off to learn vi (or compile jove or pico - yes I am a lamer) :)
>
>   Ach...Use emacs, man!  It's even got a new command..."M-x improve-sex-life".
> How can a guy go wrong?

Well, I would, but, like, I can't compile!  I'm either clueless or need to
finish installing it (I have hard drives and would love to use them :) or
something..  Is there an install doc around somewhere?  I can do the rest
but can't figure out the whole disklabel thing...  I'm too used to the
whole Linux fdisk / FreeBSD-nice-menu-based thing to get much past this.
I know once I get it all labeled and newfs'ed up, the rest is easy (except
the booting process - how do I make the HD bootable?)

> > PS - Its 12-31-1969 according to this vax... hmm... its a good time to be
> > alive...  Pass the bong...
>
>   Hey!  I was 9 months old!  Where's that bong?

Thats a good question!

So anyone know of any docs to finish the install?

Thanks
JS