Subject: VS3100... woo fun :/
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jacob Suter <jsuter@moon.intrastar.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/12/1997 21:04:07
well, I finally got some time and sat down and tried to boot one of my
VaxStation 3100/M30s (two Conner CP-3100 drives, and 32mb ram (I
think))...  Here's what is happening.

I'm booting from a Linux Slackware 3.3 box with a 2.1.57 kernel.  I've got
everything set up as according to the vaxstation booting howto, but it
doesn't seem to get all the info it should from the linux box...  Heres
whats happening:

I tell the vax the b/100 esa0 and it prompts for the bootfile, I tell it
mopboot...  it starts running (the mopboot server starts scrolling and the
ethernet light goes to blinkin) and the vax shows this:

-ESA0
Nboot
: /netbsd
le_softc.sc_r2 = 0x3a0000
device: le0 attached to 08:00:2b:1d:9a:a4
boot: client IP address: 206.136.25.29                (this is correct)
bootparamd: 'whoami' clal failed
Unknown error: code 60
:/netbsd
netboot: no interfaced left untried
rtt
(and the cursur sits....)

hitting the breakout button on the back of the unit puts it back into the
console...

Now, while the entire boot action is going on I get this on my bootparamd
window:

fixed:/home/jakes# rpc.bootparamd -d
whoami got question for 206.136.25.29
This is host vax.intrastar.net
Returning vax   (none)    127.0.0.1
whoami got question for 206.136.25.29
This is host vax.intrastar.net
Returning vax   (none)    127.0.0.1
whoami got question for 206.136.25.29
This is host vax.intrastar.net
Returning vax   (none)    127.0.0.1
whoami got question for 206.136.25.29
This is host vax.intrastar.net
Returning vax   (none)    127.0.0.1

This just doesn't look right to me for some reason.

I've got three FreeBSD Boxes sitting here I can use to boot off of, I just
figured (there I go using my brain again) since mopd appeared to be
written for linux and all I used it.

Anyone got any ideas?  I guess if all else fails I will try to crank it
with one of my FreeBSD boxes (hmm, would a 386DX/40 do the trick?)

Thanks
Jacob Suter