Subject: disklabel woes w/ VS3100
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Grubbs <jgrubbs@nwu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/01/1997 09:13:34
I have been watching the list for some time trying to get a VS3100 M38
booted.  Well, the "16 Meg" lance ethernet thread was the answer to getting
it net booted.  All worked as expected after removing the troublesome extra
16 Megs of memory :)  Thanks to Brian for the helpful NetBoot FAQ.

Now I cant seem to get any of the three installed RZ23's to take a disk
label.  I am using the 1.2G 7/4/97 snapshot with the netbsd-1.2G kernel
from ftp://ifib4.ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de/pub/NetBSD-vax/

Hardware on the SCSI buses is an RZ23 and a TZ30 on BUS A and two RZ23's
and an RRD40 on BUS B.

All of the following fail with the sd0: No disk label error...

disklabel -w -r <dev> rz23

(where I have put a minimal rz23 config in the disktab)

sd0
sd0c
sd0d
/dev/rsd0c
/dev/rsd0d

which I think depletes all the known mutations that have worked in the past
based on a scan of the recent list archives.

A "disklabel sd0" returns the dreaded sd0: No disk label error accompanied
by a output which _looks_ like decent label for this device (correct
geometry, fstype of unused, and a single c parition.)  I would post the
output, but dont have a good way to move that output from the computer to
an email capable machine at the moment.

Any ideas or RTFM pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thank,

*Jon W. Grubbs                           Telecommunications and             *
*Senior Network Planning Analyst                        Network Services    *
*jgrubbs@nwu.edu                         Northwestern University            *
*(847) 467-3211                          Evanston, IL                       *
*************finger jgrubbs@loris.nsg.nwu.edu for Public PGP