Subject: newfs: device not configured? (3100 scsi)
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Guptill <tgpt@pas.rochester.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/29/1997 12:08:20
For some reason, when I try to do:

newfs /dev/rsd0a

on my 3100, I get a "device not configured" error.  This is with a Quantum
Prodrive LPS (yes, my vax has a disk I stole from a Mac) that is configured
as follows:

# /dev/rsd0c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: prodrive
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 65
tracks/cylinder: 4
sectors/cylinder: 260
cylinders: 1818
total sectors: 479350
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:   260000        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 999)
  b:   130000   260260      swap                    	# (Cyl. 1001 - 1500)
  c:   479350        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 1843*)

Does anybody see anything terribly wrong with this?  I'm young enough that I
never had to partition disks by hand, but I think I got it right. :)

To make things even more interesting, a:

swapon /dev/sd0b

works just fine...

The kernel does see the drive when booting.

- Tom

--
Tom Guptill                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
UNIX SA                         University of Rochester  Rochester, NY USA