Subject: Re: procfs on MicroVAX II
To: Stacy Vinson <svinson@wrldnet.net>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/28/1997 09:05:04
>  i'm having a problem with the procfs
> when i do a "ps" "w" ect..
> i get "porc size mismatch (12400 total, 624 chunks)"

This has nothing to do with procfs.  ps uses libkvm, not procfs, to
gather its information.  (Why?  Damned if I know.  Probably because
"procfs is optional".  Why?  It's buggy.  Why?  'Cause nobody uses it
enough to fix it.  Why?  'Cause no software uses it.  Why?  You can't
count on its presence, 'cause it's optional.  Why?  It's buggy.  Why?
Round and round....)  This despite the fact that procfs allows a ps
that never produces such messages (at least in principle, I don't know
whether current procfs actually does).

To address the question directly,

"proc size mismatch" indicates that the ps binary, or more strictly,
the libkvm it's linked with, is out of sync with the running kernel.
But ps is linked static, so to fix this you have to make sure that your
/usr/include matches the include files used to build your kernel, then
rebuild libkvm and ps (making sure that ps links with the new libkvm).

A rudimentary ps based on /proc would be pretty trivial.  Even
something as simple as "cat /proc/*/status" can be somewhat useful,
even if it does list the cat process twice.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca