Subject: Netboot Microvax 3100/40
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Meister <Andreas.Meister@urbanet.ch>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/26/1997 00:10:29
Hi,

here a description of a problem I encounter with my MicroVAX 3100 when
trying to mopboot it. I tried to follow Brian Chases 'netboot HOWTO'
with less success. I fact, I stumble over problems when mopbooting the
bootloader image in the machine...

First I tried to use my DECstation 3100 running NetBSD/pmax v1.2 as
boothost with the following results:

- mopd compiled ok (ran ok also...)
- when trying to load the MOPBOOT.SYS image the load fails with lots of
  messages "?01 NO MSG", then flashing cursor and then again
  "?01 NO MSG" before the machine hangs (reset gets it to the >>>
  prompt again.
- I re-copied the mopboot image from ifib4.ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de, but
  still no go, image is the same (sum on linux gives 05370    55)
- I then took the NETTEST.SYS image from OpenBSD and this one worked

        OpenBSD/vax netboot test
        Cpu Type  : 14 (SOC)
        Board Type: 14000004 (VAXstation 4000/30, 3100/30, 3100/40)
        Sie Data  : 4140001
        Boot Dev  : 99 (LANCE)
        Booted from ESA0
        Ethernet  : 8:0:2b:39:b1:c5 5600

        (Q)uit) :

Some days ago, I tried with Linux as a boothost, but it showed exactly
the same behaviour.

Ok, here a description of my Microvax:
- It IS a *MicroVAX*, not a VAXstation, you know the 1 1/2 height model
  without graphic card, console on serial port nr 2 and lots of space
  for disk drives

>>> show config

KA45-A V1.4-38D-V4.2
08-00-2B-39-B1-C5
32MB

DEVNBR    DEVNAM           INFO
------    --------    --------------------------
     1         NVR    OK
     3          DZ    OK
     4       CACHE    OK
     5         MEM    OK
                      32MB = SY=8MB, S0/1=8MB, S2/3=8MB, S4/5=8MB
     6         FPU    OK
     7          IT    OK
     8         SYS    OK
     9          NI    OK
    10        SCSI    OK
                      5-L0-RZ24    6-INITR

>>> show dev

  VMS/VMB      ADDR      DEVTYPE    NUMBYTES     RM/FX    WP
DEVNAM      REV
  -------      ----      -------    --------     -----    --
------      ---
  ESA0         08-00-2B-39-B1-C5
  DKA500       A/5/0     DISK       209.81MB      FX
RZ24        1D18
 ..HostID..    A/6       INITR

...and on power-up it displays the following information:

KA45-A V1.4-38D-V4.2
08-00-2B-39-B1-C5
32MB

OK

  83 BOOT SYS

I suppose, this hardware is not yet supported by this mopload stuff?
Or do I simply use the wrong image?

Thanks for any help.

Andreas Meister, Unix System Engineer, Lausanne, Switzerland