Subject: Re: VAX 3100 diags
To: None <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/12/1997 13:28:15
>From: rickgc@calweb.com (Rick Copeland)
>
>I have a 3100 of questionable functionality and would like to know how to
>test it!  I do not have a monitor for it(none came with it but there is a
>place to connect one on the back) and there is no hard disks in it yet.
>When I power it up it blinks leds that are in a row on the back showing some
>kind of life (leds are like the ones on a Sun 3 kind of). I have tried to
>connect another computer to the apparent serial port but I get nothing, can
>you run it headless like a Sun?

Make sure the console switch is in the up position.  If you can't find
the console switch, see my message to port-vax from about a week or
two ago.

Connect a terminal at 9600/N/1 and XON/XOFF flow control to the port
with the printer icon.  Make sure the cable is properly null-modemed
(if you use a standard MMJ cable and MMJ to DB9/DB25 adapters where
necessary, this is almost always handled autmagically.  MMJ serial is
a wonderful thing, it a crying shame that it lacks hardware flow
control.)

Boot the VAX.  You should see it start booting after a few seconds.

Cheers,
entropy