Subject: Re: NetBSD on VS2000?
To: None <a.arnold@kfa-juelich.de>
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/08/1997 21:57:21
On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, A.Arnold wrote:

> A week or so ago, I was given two VAXStations 2000 together with a TK50
> streamer.  I already use NetBSD on a Sun/3 and two DECstations, so I thought
> Does anyone know wha I'm doing wrong?  Excuse me if this is a very dumb ques-
> tion, but this is my first exposure to VAXen ...

Comprehensive support documentation is fairly scarce for NetBSD/vax and
the architectures it runs on.  I'm not positive that the tape devices are
fully supported under VS2000s.  Not that I'm an authority on that
particular facet of NetBSD/vax, you may have to hang around a while for
someone to speak up on their experiences with tape drives on VS2000
machines.

My personal recommendation (if you've got the resources and inclination)
is to netboot the machine.  I've put together a guide of sorts for running
NetBSD/vax on VS3100s and VS2000s in a netbooted configuration.  It's
really not too difficult.

See http://www.carpediem.com/~brianc/projects/vaxen/

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --