Subject: Re: Netbsd 1.2g on uVAX II... Progress is unfortunate.
To: Greg Linder <fluke@mcs.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/27/1997 12:49:47
On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Greg Linder wrote:

> 	I have been continually trying to load Netbsd 1.2g on my uVAX II,
> and this has not been going smoothly at all. First, whenever I copy the
> miniroot system to the ra0b partition, it always fails to copy part of
> it.. Either the /usr/bin and /usr/sbin directorys(it says I can't cd to
> those directories) or it copies the /dev directory with bad file handles
> on everything therin.. Practically every time I have tried this, it gives
> me these same errors.. I have tried making tapes numerous times, and have
> tried re-downloading the tk50 files, and it seems that this just refuses
> to work. This is why I stupidly asked a while ago why "tar" was missing
> from the miniroot package.
> 	When I do get this working, when I try to mount ra0e to /mnt/usr,
> BSD tells me that the filesystem is not clean. I attribute this to an
> inproper disklabel, but this is something else I don't know how to fix..
> I've played with these numbers for hours at a time, and can't seem to get
> ra0e to work worth anything.

	Can you post the output of 'disklabel ra0', or the values you've
	entered into edlabel.

	Also, try running 'fsck /dev/ra0a /dev/ra0e' before mounting them.

> 	Then, ignoring all those errors, when I try to run detar, it
> refuses to find /dev/mt0 or any of the other tape devices. The tk50 light
> doesn't even flash... Why is my poor installation being so mean and evil
> to me? Can someone suggest a working disklabel partition table they have
> that will work with an RD54, so I can at least try and get my ra0e working
> and mount to /mnt/usr? Then I can try and figure out why copy is being so
> evil to me all the time.
>

> 	Thanks!
> 	   Greg Linder
> 	   fluke@mcs.net
> 	      "I've got the world at my fingertips-
> 			Now what the heck do I do with it?"

		David/abs

  Personally, I have always found work levels to be self regulating.
   Excessive work will induce repeated periods of unconsciousness.
           (I believe these are referred to as 'sleep'...)