Subject: arrgh, almost there!
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gordon Zaft <zaft@ece.arizona.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/23/1997 16:08:37
Gang,
	Thanks for listening to my woes as i work my way through my
first install here.

	I have the machine up and I can boot to a login prompt and even
login okay (this is 1.2G on a uVAX II)... but I have two problems that
are related, I think.

	1) I have no 'tty' devices in /dev.  When I run MAKEDEV it
runs for a bit, then just hangs.  I mentioned this before with no
response..

	2) I can't login as root from the console (I can login as
a non-prived user).  I get a message about root logins not accepted
from the console.  I don't understand this since my understanding was
that if the 'console' line in /etc/ttys said 'secure' that I should be
able to login okay.  Any ideas?

	Thanks in advance.  Thanks also to Dave McGuire who reminded me
to SYNC when copying the kernel!

GZ

Gordon C. Zaft					zaft@ece.arizona.edu
ECE graduate student				http://www.u.arizona.edu/~zaft