Subject: netbooting a 3100
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J. Joseph Max Katz <jkatz@cpio.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/23/1997 16:37:49
Howdy!

I'm trying to netboot my VS 3100 and it is almost working. mopd is running
on my server, and the VS is downloading the kernel, finding its IP
address, and the remote root filesystem. However, it halts on this error:

arp: no response for 127.0.0.1

tcpdump shows that the vax is repeatedly making arp requests for
"locahost.cpio.org" AFTER it finds out its own name and IP.

My filesystem/mopd/bootparamd server is OpenBSD-current on a P5/133 and is
correctly configured (methinks.... I've done netbooting of sparcs, etc in
the past.) In any event, the VAX is getting as far as downloading and
starting to boot the kernel.

What am I doing wrong?

/ Jonathan Katz, jkatz@cpio.org         /  http://www.cpio.org
/ Student, Unix geek, Security guy      /  http://posse.cpio.org
/ President and Founder: Corinne Posse  /  http://jon.katz.com
/ Phone: +1 (317) 590-7092              /
/     "The meek may inherit the earth,
/             but Gale and I will seize the stars!"