Subject: Re: How to network
To: David M. Heller <dmheller@frontiernet.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/21/1997 17:17:14
	For the machines running NetBSD its more a 'netbsd networking'
	than a 'dec networking' question :)

	Assuming you want to use ethernet it depends on the interfaces
	on the machines, if any of your machines have RJ45 or BNC
	connectors then you should probably go for a 10base2 or 10baseT
	network respectively. (If you have a mixture then you're in for
	fun :) The standard NetBSD FAQ should cover the software side
	of setting up the interface:

	In case anyone is interested... some ethernet information.

	There are three ethernet cable types:

	10base5: Thick ethernet. Uses _really_ think cables with 'vampire'
		 taps for transcivers. Can run up to 500m, but not used
	         anymore :) Machines are 'daisy chained' together with a
		 terminator at each end.

	10base2: Thin ethernet. Uses coax cable similar to a TV (but
		 higher spec). Network cables are connected via BNC 'T'
		 pieces. Each T piece connects to an external transciver,
		 or direct onto a machine with a 'BNC' interface. Machines
		 are daisy chained in the same as as 10base5.

	10baseT: Uses 'UTP' (Unshielded twisted pair) cable. The current
		 ethernet cable of choice. Machines are 'star wired' back
		 to a central hub. USes rj45 connection with no external
		 transciever. Allows segments to be disconnected without
		 affecting other machines, and to be switched (dedicated
		 bandwidth between each machine and the switched hub).
		 100baseT is just a higher speed/spec version of 10baseT.

	Plus three types of ethernet interface:

	AUI:  Female 'D' type connector. Looks like a smaller 25D serial
	      port. (_technically_ not a D, but it'll do for now :)
	      Requires an external transciever to connect to any of
	      10base5, 10base2, or 10baseT.

	BNC:  Connects direct to 10base2.

	RJ45: Connects direct to 10baseT.

	If you have any specific questions... just drop the list a line :)

		David/abs

  -- "Its hard to say it... I hate to say it... but its probably me..." --