Subject: Net booting
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Guptill <tgpt@pas.rochester.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/15/1997 16:30:37
I've been playing around with my GPX, and I've come to the conclusion that
the RD53 is just a bit too small for my purposes.  Hence, I've decided to
live with an nfs root until I can get a bigger disk.  Since I have a
half-installed setup on the RD53, I'm currently doing this:

> BOOT /3 MUA0:
blah blah blah
:ra(0,0,1)netbsd
blah blah blah
root device = qe0
dump = ra0b
filesystem = nfs

The machine
-boots up
- sends out a RARP request & succeeds in getting an IP address
- sends out a bootp request,
	finds out that its name is univax.pas.rochester.edu
		and
	finds out that  its root is on
		kudzu.pas.rochester.edu:/export/root/univax

It then goes into an endless stream of:

RPC timeout for server 0x80979078
RPC timeout for server 0x80979078
RPC timeout for server 0x80979078
RPC timeout for server 0x80979078
RPC timeout for server 0x80979078
RPC timeout for server 0x80979078

This hex *is* the IP address of the proper server, and a "showmount" on the
server shows that "univax.pas.rochester.edu" does in fact have a filesystem
mounted.  NFS is working on the server machine, as it is providing disk
services for a group of known-working diskless Solaris machines.  (The
server is running Solaris 2.5.1).

The only parameter I've passed to the machine from bootparams is
root=kudzu.pas.rochester.edu:/export/root/univax

Any ideas, anyone?  If I can get this to work, I actually have two more
GPXes that I can boot in the same fashion, giving me a NetBSD/VAXcluster. :)

Thanks in advance.

- Tom

--
Tom Guptill                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
UNIX SA                         University of Rochester  Rochester, NY USA