Subject: Problems with kernel compilation (1.2C)
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: STEFAN ANDERS <STEFAN.ANDERS@physik.uni-ulm.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/12/1997 09:25:47
Dear Mailing-list,

After sucessful installing 1.2C on my MicroVAX II
(9MB, RD54, TK50) I wanted to build a new kernel,
which gave me some trouble.
I installed the sources from sys.tar.gz on my
Linux Box and mounted these sources via NFS into
/sys.
First, I tried to create a new config-file by
copying and modifying the "GENERIC"-configuration,
but running config always led to errors like
"arch/vax/..." not found (->some enviroment variable
missing?).
Then, I chdir'ed to /sys and ran "make".
It displayed "==>vax, ==>vax/boot". It compiled
some files, but "ar" displayed errors
(wrong command line -> ar crv libvaxs.a)
The Makefile in /sys/arch/vax/boot seems to be
ok, but running "ar crv consolio.o... libvaxs.a"
leeds to the error "conoloio.o: wrong file type or format".
So, what do I have to do:
 - Compile all tools?
 - Set some eniroment variables?
 - Mount the sources to some other place?
 - Read some good literature? (The smm and the man-page
   were of no help)

Thanks for any help,
                Stefan