Subject: ftp problem solved; another problem!
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gordon Zaft <zaft@ece.arizona.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/11/1997 13:34:59
Gang,
	Thanks for your replies, especially to David McGuire who was
so quick!
	The answer is that it *should* reply to a ping.  With that in
hand I went back and started swapping hardware.  I apprently have a
bad DEQNA; at least, I swapped it out for a DELQA and things are fine....

	EXCEPT!

	I followed the FAQ  up until the part where it said to ./MAKEDEV std
; when I did that it went on for some time, complaining that devices already
existed; then the machine panicked and rebooted.  It came back up again
and asked for a root device; I told it ra0*.  It booted up but things
were in a strange state; many of the files I'd installed seem to have
disappeared and the filesystem was write-only.

	What *should * I have done/do?

	Also, the FAQ says to do a ./MAKEDEV tms0; 1.2G doesn't like that.

	Thanks for your help...

GZ