Subject: Re: That ole uVax II again
To: None <shsrms@erols.com>
From: Dan Williamson <root@parks.lbmf.bc.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/04/1997 21:29:23

> >  My 2 Disks are -
> >                         DUA1: /dev/ra0 MAXTOR XT-2190 (MSCP?)
> >                         311200    1221    15    17   512
> >
> >                         DUB0:   /dev/ra1   Fujitsu M2249E (ESDI?)
> >                         632400    1240    15    34   512
> >
> > edlabeled as follows:
> >
> > Drive   Partition   Size   Offset  Used_as
> > DUA1:   ra0a        25000  0       /tmp
> >         ra0b        35000  20000   (Emergency_Miniroot)
> >         ra0c       632400  0       (Total_Disk)
> >         ra0d       572400  60000   /mnt
> > DUB0:   ra1a        20000  0       /
> >         ra1b        25000  20000   swap
> >         ra1c       311200  0       (Total_Disk)
> >         ra1d       0       0       (Not_Used)
> >         ra1e       266200  45000   /usr
> >
> how do you have the fuji hooked up?

Two seperate controllers for 2 drives because there used to be a
third drive in the enclosure.

> It can't be hookded to the RQDX!

Well all three interfaces for the TK50, RA81 and RD54 show as
mscpbus0, mscpbus1, and mscpbus2 respectively.

mtc0 at uba0 csr 174500 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at mtc0: version 2 model 14
mt0 at mscpbus0 drive0: TK50

uda0 at uba0 csr 172150 vec 770 ipl 17
mscpbus1 at uda0: version 9 model 2
ra0 at mscpbus1 drive 1: RA81

uda1 at uba0 csr 160334 vec 764 ipl17
mscpbus2 at uda1: version 2 model 3
ra1 at mscpbus2 drive 1: RD54

> ESDI and MFM are not the same.

Well I set the RD54 Maxtor as a MSCP device and the Fujitsu as an ESDI
device because a search of that drive produced specs that implied it was
an ESDI. Perhaps this is where my troubles originate? Also, I'm guessing
as to the geometry of the RA81 .... I took it from the info using VMS-DCL
command:  'show device /full dua1'

> Your label says your trying to lable ra1 The 1.2g playing I have done
> shows ra4 for dub0!

Might depend on the order of your backplane? Check your bootup output for
mscpbus devices before the definition of ra4. I expect you have more than
one or two mass storage devices?

> mabybe this will hepl
> Sorry for spelling - fingers rusting - out of twon all weekend
> with no computer!!
> bob

no prob, bob. Thanks again for responding so quickly. I suspect your idea
that the problems lie in my set up of the Fujitsu or the Maxtor may have
merit though I'm not sure if they sit with my use of /dev/ra1x. I'll look
into it further if I'm able to find more documentation on the net.

regards,

Dan