Subject: Re: TS05
To: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/30/1997 21:59:18
> > > Is there any indication of exactly when TS11 support stopped working?  Is
> > > there any way to get access to old versions of the driver, from back when it
> > > did work?
> > >
> > The reason it stopped working was that I added autoconf functionality
> > to the uba driver. Before that it was a strange hard-coded beast.
> > The current driver in the source tree hasn't almost been touched since
> > that, but all uba structures has changed so there are a little work
> > to make it work correctly. It may have been around 1.1R somewhere that
> > I fixed this.
>
> Is there any chance of me being able to access pre-1.1R sources
> so that I can track the changes made in other drivers to handle
> the new uba structures?  Or is it so extreme that I should just
> give up and write a new TS11 driver based on the current TMSCP
> driver?

There are no drivers that survived the uba changes.
A fast look in the "DEC Peripherals Handbook" shows that the TS11
is a rather simple device. I think that a good work strategy is to
first break out Bertram's ts11-specific code from the current ts.c,
then take a look at the uda.c to see how the uba structures cooperate.
If I get some spare time someday I may write a manual "how to write
Unibus device drivers".

-- Ragge