Subject: Re: TS05
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@CALWEB.COM>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/29/1997 14:04:16
> I have a TS05 half inch tape drive that is connected to a Vax 11/730.  I
> would like to connect it to my uVax 3600 has anyone ever tried this and is
> it compatible with NetBSD?

On the hardware side, you'll need a Q-bus to Pertec-formatted controller.
The DEC M7196 is the official way to do this, but I've had good success
(under Q-bus VMS, RSX, BSD2.11, BSD4.3, and RT-11 systems) with
Emulex TC03's and Dilog QD142's as well.  (The DEC board is a rebadged
Dilog with some slightly modified firmware.)

The last time I checked, NetBSD's only tape support was for TMSCP-style
devices.  The TS11-type driver source was present, but it didn't compile
and didn't work.  I see from the hypertext FAQ that TS11 tapes are
now officially supported, so I would guess that at some point in the
past 6 months or so somebody fixed it.  I never saw an announcement on
the port-vax list that this was fixed, but that's not too unusual...

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)