Subject: Re: Can someone decipher this panic?
To: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/26/1997 13:04:02
On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, David Evans wrote:
> Brian D Chase wrote:

> > Other background info.  The KA630 reports v1.3 when booting.  I've got
> > 5Megs of memory (1Meg on the processor board, and then 1 4Meg M7608).
> > NetBSD reports seeing 9Megs at boot time, which was a little disturbing to
> > me but it boots to miniroot okay.  Of course after running a half dozen or
> > so commands the machine panics -- but it does function.

>   This may sound a little dumb but do you have the single memory board
> plugged in correctly?  ie. just to the left of the CPU board, attached to the
> first interconnect cable connector?

Yes, BUT I'd just finished doing some Q-bus research and I believe my
problems are somewhat related to my general ignorance of how to organize
the modules I have :-)  After gaining more knowledge (and interpolating
the blank spots), I tried this configuration.

Pretend you've taken your BA123 enclosure and have tilted it on it's face
( I do not recommend actually doing this at work or home ).

         A-B        C-D
  ---+----------+---------+
   1 | M7606 =============|
   2 | M7608 =============|
   3 | M3106 ===          |
   4 | M7516YM==          |
  ---+----------+---------+
   5 | M7546====|M7555====|
   6 |
   7 |
   8 |
   9 |
  10 |
  11 |
  12 |
  ---+----------+---------+
  13 |          | HDCNCTRS

For all I know the above configuration will be outrageously humorous to
those in the know. Previously I'd stuffed any the open slot 3 and 4 C-D
sections with double width cards.  I thought I needed to keep all that
free space plugged up.  Apparently the MicroVAX interpreted whatever
combination of cards I had in slots 3 and 4 to be an extra 4Megs of
memory.  In the configuration I've got above, NetBSD correctly detected
5Megs of memory -- but something is still off (either that or I've
discovered a new model of MicroVAX :-)

 realmem = 5241856
 availmem = 3296256
 Using 255 buffers containing 261120 bytes of memory.
 backplane0 (root)
 cpu0 at backplane0: MicroVAX 78032/78132
 sbi0 at backplane0panic: Microvax not supported
 Stopped at      0x800809ae:     brb     0x800809c5

--

How should I be arranging the Q-bus cards?  Am I still missing something?

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --