Subject: Can someone decipher this panic?
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/26/1997 12:01:09
I'm having mixed success in booting my MicroVAX II with 1.1A.  I know
that's a bit dated version of the VAX port, but I'm wanting to make sure
my hardware is stable before experimenting with 1.2G.

I've got my RD54 labeled, miniroot is copied, the bootblocks are written,
the / and /usr filesystems are created, and I even ftped the .tar.gz
binaries over.  Still, when I'm booted to NetBSD from the miniroot
partition it's fairly regularly panicking on me.  I get messages simillar
to the following which is the most recent panic.

 machine check 80
         vap 49db8 istate 3050000 pc 49db5 ps1 3c00005
         user=0x81
 memory err!
 panic: machine check
 Stopped at      0x8008d41a:      ret

The machine consistently stops in the 0x800????? range.  Please tell me
this isn't where the 1Meg of memory on the processor board maps to.

Other background info.  The KA630 reports v1.3 when booting.  I've got
5Megs of memory (1Meg on the processor board, and then 1 4Meg M7608).
NetBSD reports seeing 9Megs at boot time, which was a little disturbing to
me but it boots to miniroot okay.  Of course after running a half dozen or
so commands the machine panics -- but it does function.

Enlightenment would be welcome.

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --