Subject: Re: Problem booting from ra0b
To: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
From: Robert Smith <rmsmith@csc.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/25/1997 16:10:00

> I'm installing 1.2G onto my Microvax II. When I boot ":ra(0,1)netbsd" and
 I always do ra(0,0,1)netbsd because I don't trust the first boot.

> get prompted for root device, I enter "ra0*". I then get prompted for dump
> device, default ra0b. I responded "none" as I don't want to overwrite the
> miniroot.
I just hit return - the file system is mounted read only unless you change it
with intent to write it.

> I'm then asked the filesystem type, accept the default "generic", and then
> the process bombs out with "no file system on ra0, error = 79".
ragge might be exactly correct on this one - might have failed to copy it,
lots of ways to do that - I always take multiple tries to get the new
system installed (thanks gunnar and ragge for all your patience!)
and I have learned to be very cautious - the (0,0,1) and such is just
my way of slowing down.
I am just finishing my 5th attempt at 1.2g - my fingers or my terminal
locking up hosed me up the first four times - and I am close now!!
good luck!!
bob