Subject: Finally running.. Now 1.2
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <arno@ixe.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/21/1997 20:16:47
Ah...

Finally got a good supply of reasonably priced CompacTape-II tapes,
so I tried installing NetBSD on my 3600.

It's a pretty standard box:

	- KA650-AA CPU
	- 4x MS650-AA memory (32 Mbyte total)
	- DELQA-SA
	- Emulex UC07 with 2.1 Gb SCSI disk
	- TQK70
	- KDA50 (for my RA81 /w ULTRIX)

OK..

All the 1.2 distributions I tried do OK on the EDLABEL and COPY part.
Booting the miniroot does work partly..

It boots the kernel and asks for the root device (ra4* in my case),
but when it comes to the line about using xxx blocks on swap and leaving
xxxx free it always kernel panics and dumps me in the debugger.

So I grabeed the 1.1A install stuff and used COPY to put the 1.1A miniroot
on disk. Booted that, and hey presto! It works!

I then used the 'binaries' tree from NetBSD-1.2 to populate my
real root disk and copied the 1.1 kernel onto that.

So far so good :-)

Now..

The big question? Why do all 1.2 based kernels from the miniroot die on my
3600?

I'm going to have a go at building my own kernel to see of that helps. From
the reports on this list I think I'll be fine with a self-compiled
version. (Although I'll keep this 1.1A always in a safe place ;-)

Just letting 'yall know there's another happy NetBSD/vax box out there.

							Bye Arno.

--
Internet Exchange Europe B.V.Fax: +31-70-3630470 | One disk to rule them all,
Lange Voorhout 9  	     Tel: +31-70-3600379 | One disk to bind them,