Subject: Re: RL02 (was Questions about 'BOOT')
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: James Willing <jimw@agora.rdrop.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/21/1997 10:41:07
On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > Also... (while I'm here) is there support in the current system for RL02
> > drives on the RLV-21 (? Std. DEC RL controller, 22 bit ver.) controller?
> >
> No, and there will probably never be if not someone that has a ctlr
> is willing to write a device driver. And I don't think there are so many
> that has it, the drives can carry 10MB and is HEAVY. :-)
>
> The RL02 support for console media on 86X0 works, though.

Interesting...  Since the RL02 drives were supported on BSD 4.X and
earlier for as long as I can remember.  I would think that at least from a
historical standpoint it would be useful as I still see a lot of folks
with stuff on RL packs that they would like to be able to access.

Of course, I still read 80 column cards for people too!

Mayhaps I'll have to dredge the RL drivers out of the 4.4 sources... (and
the drives are not *that* heavy...  B^}  )

People are just getting spoiled by multi-gigabyte 'pocket' hard drives...
(  *big* B^}  )

-jim
---
jimw@agora.rdrop.com