Subject: Re: Booting VS3100 hangups
To: Darrin Wilson <wilson@cc.cc.ca.us>
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/05/1997 20:08:02
On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Darrin Wilson wrote:

> 	Following Brian's HOWTO file, I have gotten our VAX to boot
> up to a point:
>
> -ESA0
> Nboot
> : /netbsd
> le_softc.sc_r2 = 0x3a0000
> device: le0 attached to 08:00:2b:15:c2:74
> boot: client IP address: 10.0.0.13
> boot: client name: vaxen
> root addr=10.0.0.2 path=/home/netbsd-vax
> 675840+35840+70136 start 0x98bbe
> _  <- cursor...
>

> 	Any idea's or suggestions to try?

Are you using a serial console device, or are you using the graphics
console?  In the case of the latter, there's no support for it -- so as
soon as NetBSD takes control of the system then you loose output to the
graphics display.

In all probability, your system is booting just fine :-)  You just can't
see what's going on.

creating a serial cable for use on the VAXstation.  A serial cabling
HOWTO is in the works for me this weekend, but first I really need to get
the latest version of my netboot HOWTO out.  The long holiday weekend has
given me ample opportunity to experiment with all my toys <muuu ha ha hah>

So if you can wait until say Monday, then I'm planning on having a handy
guide for DIY serial cable manufacturing.  If not, then seek the knowledge
in messages of many months past.

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --