Subject: Re: 3100 disk drives
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Andy Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/01/1997 13:32:56
Rick Copeland wrote:

> Hello Vax List,
>
> I just got a 3100 M38 and it has no hard disks or floppy disks in it.  Could
> someone tell me what drives will work in the 3100?

I bought a Quantum LPS-340 (thinking like an idiot that since somehow
DEC and
quantum were close somehow that it would work).  In order for VMS to
format it,
I had to send an ANSI command to the drive to turn off
write-preallocation.  I
don't know at what level this comes into play for NetBSD.  It seems like
I had
trouble with (test 71) formatting it until I did this.

Otherwise like the other guy said, stay below the size limitation.  I
only would
question this in the sense that VMS won't *BOOT* anything larger than
2GB, but
it is said that you can have a *DATA* disk that is larger.  Since most
ROM routines
are generic, I would venture a guess that the 2GB thing might be tied to
VMS.

Andy