Subject: Re: How to: Connect a VR290 to a PC.
To: Thomas S. Traylor <ttraylor@titan.cs.mci.com>
From: Karl Maftoum <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/30/1997 20:56:32
On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Thomas S. Traylor wrote:

> I know this is a bit off the topic.  But, how do you get a VR290 to
> work connected to a PC?  I know that there is some sync problems to
> over come.  Has any one successfully done this.

Yes it can be done, no I haven't done it, although I have investigated
this option. It basically depends on how much you would like to spend, as
you probably know the VR290 is a fixed frequency sync-on-green monitor.
There are purpose built video cards for a PC which allow you to run these
monitors in most resolutions, I know mirage sell some of these
http://www.mirage-mmc.com. These are modern cards being PCI with ET6000
chipsets etc...

The other cheaper option is to connect it to your existing video card, if
you card can support the 1024x864 @the frequency which I have just
forgotten :) (54Hz? someone correct me if I'm wrong), you will then need
to get a cable and circuit to mix the sync signals from the VGA card and
add them to the green signal, there are various schematics for this
purpose , just put sync-on-green into a search engine and you'll find a
few. However the downside to this option is that it won't support dos
text mode or other video modes, however if you are happy logging in with
xdm and using X-windows all the time this is an option.

Cheers
Karl

Karl Maftoum
Computer Engineering Student at the University of Canberra, Australia

Email: k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au

I am getting very sick of getting SPAM..... I won't retaliate, I just
won't buy your product, and will recommend others to do the same.