Subject: RE: NetBSD installation problem
To: ragge@ludd.luth.se <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Nigel Johnson <njohnson@ican.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/29/1997 08:38:13
I have been lurking for awhile, but haven't had much to add, since I am =
an old VAX hardware engineer and all this software hacking is a little =
above me (for now).

I may be able to help you understand the Q/CD problem.

The BA23 box has the first three slots wired as Q/CD, the rest Q/Q.  You =
can only have two memory boards and the KA630 CPU in there.  However, =
the backplane used in the BA123 has the first four slots wired as Q/CD.  =
So as long as the box is a plain vabilla DEC box, you should be able to =
rely on the above rule.

However, OEMs frequently bought different back0planes and stuck them in =
the boxes.  There was one medical imaging system manufacturer who did =
this, and used the Q/CD backplane to interconnect his own boards.  If =
you have a system that has been modified by one of these, then you will =
experience the different backplane.  Some bought the extended Q/CD =
backplane to experiment with multi-processor operation, which is =
possible with theese backplanes but never supported by any DEC O/S that =
I know of.

I can't contribute much to the general discussion, but will be happy to =
drop in a few cent's worth if any hardware questions arise.  I am hoping =
to get NetBSD running on a second VAX
that I am building from a PDP-11/73 chassis.

Now I have a problem, I have lost the manuals for my system.  Does =
anybody have the manual for a Spectralogic S500 ESDI controller?

Best Wishes from Toronto,

Nigel Johnson