Subject: Re: just something that i find scary
To: Wonko the Sane <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/23/1997 17:00:31
On June 23, you wrote:
> ran across a picture of a Quantum DLT 7000 in SunExpert magazine. (don't
> follow hardware like that since *I* can't afford it anyway) and noticed
> that it looks way too much like a TK50.  just something i thought i should
> share. :)

  Yes...It looks even *more* like a TK70.  The "Quantum" DLT drives
were made by DEC.  Quantum bought the line from DEC a while back, and
seems to be desperately trying to convince the world that it was their
original design.

  This is all from a very fuzzy memory...someone please correct me if
I'm wrong here...The TK50 is a CompacTape I, the TK70 is a CompacTape
II, and the DLT drives are CompacTape IVs.

  The tapes are virtually indistinguishable from one another.

                             -Dave McGuire
                              mcguire@neurotica.com