Subject: Re: Bugs being fixed.
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/16/1997 21:04:31
On June 16, you wrote:
> gotta drag my butt to Troy, NY and go get it first. (yea) and then i need to
> find a way to power it. :)

  Powering a '750 is no easy task.  I ran one with an RM80 for a week
or two in my old house.  It was interesting, to say the least.  But
hey, it had personality! :-)

> >   That's excellent news!  This being NetBSD, I'm sure there'll be some
> > motivation for making as much of it machine-independent as possible.
> > I really hope that happens.
>
> well, from what i know, they are working on i386 specific SMP support.  knowing
> Eric at least.. i'm sure they will make it as hardware independant as they can,
> however, keep in mind that SMP is a very hardware specific thing.  in it's
> current state it works, however it doesn't support individual CPU locking and
> relies on locking both CPUs at one, not great, but at least you can use more
> than one CPU.  also, working on individual CPU locking is in the works as we
> speak.  i don't know if their SMP supports more than two CPUs at the moment.
> i'll probably talk to Eric about it tomorrow.

  It sounds neat.  Yeah, lots of it needs to be machine-specific, but
the higher-level stuff could be made machine-independent...The MI SCSI
driver is a good example of that kind of work, and it seems to work
very well.

                   -Dave