Subject: Re: Yet another satisfied customer
To: Robert Smith <rmsmith@csc.com>
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/16/1997 14:16:37
On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Robert Smith wrote:

> Rick and others,
> I do not understand all this about NetBSD vax.  BSD is a USER supported,
> USER DEVELOPED, FREE operating system for the VAX.

I'd have to agree with Robert here.  Although I'm a bit frustrated myself
that I can get the 970315 boot image to load up on my MicroVAX II, it's
unfair to take the perspective that those in the know somehow owe the
NetBSD/vax community a working boot image.  Sure it's a problem, but it's
not like we're paying out gobs of money for software support here.

Since Ragge doesn't have the problem on the machine's available to him,
it's sort of unreasonable to ask him to fix it.  I'd do it but I've not
anywhere near enough clues at this point to do it myself...

Which leads me to the following self-help question.  So how do you
construct the images for the boot tapes?  I'd be more than willing to work
on building new tk50 tapes images if somebody can give me the details of
how they're put together.  One idea would be to maybe take the bootloader
from 1.1 and combine that with the 1.2 distribution?

-brian.

Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --