Subject: Re: Compiling NetBSD-current sources...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/12/1997 13:34:45
On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>  > Modify /usr/src/conf/files, commenting out line #7:
>  > #defopt KMEMSTATS
>
> That is incorrect.  You need to rebuild the config(8) program.  This
> was discussed on current-users some time ago, when the change was made.

Well, I never claimed that I knew what the hell I was doing :-)  But
publicly throwing myself into "the brick wall of ignorance" seems to be
the best way I've found for gathering correct information out of those who
are in-the-know.  My ego doesn't mind me looking stupid most of the time.

I've no doubts that all of the knowledge is present in some dormant form
within the mailing list archives.  And certainly, I'd agree that to
actively participate in the porting process one would need to monitor all
of the relevant mailing lists.  Still in coming over from the Linux camp,
I'm a bit alarmed that there aren't more concise summaries of how to do
"foo" under NetBSD.  Just exactly how does anyone expect newcomers to get
up to speed?  "Read the archives... it's all in there... somewhere."
I guess I'm just used to Linux's subconcious philosophy of embracing the
ignorant.

Anyway, I've found a personal quest of sorts... to digest the archives, to
ask questions, and to ultimately present useful and concise information to
those who seek it.

This is not to belittle the efforts of the NetBSD/vax FAQ.  That's quite a
sizeable and broad undertaking.  But I'm going to work on writing more
short HOWTOs.  I think my next one will be titled "Compiling the
NetBSD/vax Kernel" -- that is once I sucessfully do it.

Between Ragge's and Bertram's replies to my failed attempt, I believe I
now have the answers I needed.

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --