Subject: Re: Alright, damnit, this is getting annoying.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/12/1997 14:49:37
Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>
> > on that note.  how much trouble with the big-endian/little-endian clash cause?
> > how hard would it be to build a cross compiler for my sparc 5 running SunOS 5.5
> > to build NetBSD/vax binaries (and maybe even kernels)??
>
> It shouldn't be that big a deal. A while back I built gcc-2.7.2
> and binutils-2.7 on my Sparc and successfully compiled a Sun 3
> kernel with them, which booted ok.

Well, the problem is the binutils don't support vax-dec-netbsd.  I
actually had to port some of the NetBSD tools to Linux.  That's not too
easy because I had to use some header files from the host system and
some from the target system, take parts of the NetBSD libc, etc.  Had I
also been forced to deal with different byte order or word sizes the job
would have been *much* harder.
BTW.  Is there any other configuration in binutils which is equivalent
to vax-dec-netbsd.

> Having a cross-compiler set up would probably be a really, really
> big boon for anyone working on a VAX. My PPro150 can compile the
> world and a kernel in well under three hours. My uVAX 2000 would
> probably take more like 3 days. :-)

I agree.  Official cross-compiling support within NetBSD would probably
be the best way to go.  Such a thing may be a bit hard to do now, but I
think that the benefits of having something like that in an OS that
supports so many architectures is a great idea.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |