Subject: Re: Bugtracking...
To: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/1997 18:34:57
On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
 Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com> wrote:

 > I've known about this for a while, but I've never seen anyone use it. And
 > have been hesitant to use it myself.  Besides that... so you put bug
 > reports into it.  Where do they go?  Who fixes them after they're entered?
 > And then who marks the bug reports as closed/fixed?
 > (Asking out of ignorance).

A _lot_ of people use it!  Just not very many NetBSD/vax people, apparently.

To address your questions:

	(q) Where do they go?
	(a) Into a database on gnats.netbsd.org.  There they can be
	    queried by users (via e-mail and www) and developers.
	    Developers (in this context, people w/ commit access
	    to the NetBSD master sources) are also able to alter
	    the state of the PRs (closed, analyzed, suspended),
	    change the "responsible party", make notes, get feedback,
	    etc.

	(q) Who fixes whem after they're entered?
	(a) The responsible party.  That might be the port master for
	    a particular port, the maintainer of a given subsystem,
	    or any other "bug chaser" developer (we have several
	    who simply grovel the bugs database from time to time,
	    fixing reported problems).

	(q) And then who marks the bug reports as closed/fixed?
	(a) The developer who commits the fix to the master sources.

 > For instance... Say I've got a VS3100 specfic bug related to the SCSI
 > driver.  If I report the problem to the bug list who gets notified of the
 > bug report?

The first major thing that happens is that the bug report is echoed onto
the netbsd-bugs@netbsd.org mailing list, announcing it to all who read
that list.  That is the first step in notification.  Later, developers
are sent reminders about open PRs (automated).

It's actually a pretty good system.