Subject: Re: Alright, damnit, this is getting annoying.
To: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.Triumf.CA>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/1997 14:01:35
> > I understand what you are saying, I have spent almost 5 months trying to get
> > a workable system on my VAX's with no real success. THIS PORT HAS MAJOR
> > PROBLEMS!
>
> Part of the problem is that when changes are made (i.e. between 1.1 and
> 1.2) there is apparently no place to go and figure out who broke what
> and when.  Or is there?  Is there some list somewhere, where we can
> track down the changes made to various drivers that cause them to no
> longer work, and figure out what can be done to fix it?

One of the 'easy' ways to do this, often done with other NetBSD ports,
is to have more experienced and interested users follow the current
sources, i.e. building new kernels for themselves and building new
binaries for themselves every so often.

If you build a kernel from sources every week, and know that something
worked with week N-1's sources but didn't work work week N's, then you
know approximately when the code broke, which helps immensely in
tracking down the problems.

NetBSD/vax sounds like it's still very much a "port under development"
(rather than a port mostly being maintained, with little/slow new
development) which means that it's somewhat important to have people
following -current to see what's breaking.

cgd