Subject: Re: More VS2000 booting problems
To: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/01/1997 16:15:39

> I think most all of the newer VAXen do have fairly decent built in
> diagnostic support.  "Decent" meaning that it's relatively user friendly.
> However, the MicroVAX II I've got doesn't have anything quite like
> the built-in diagnostics for the VS2000 and VS3100.  I do really think it
> would be nice to have some bootable diagnostic/test software in a bootable
> image for older VAX machines which don't have them in ROM.

Because of that the boot loader can load anything you specify at the
prompt, it would probably be rather easy to write a small stand-alone
diag program that could check whatever is interesting. The boot loader
cannot have a size bigger than 48K, so it's best to have only the
needed things in it. It has already grown a little bit too big.

-- Ragge