Subject: Re: More VS2000 booting problems
To: Paul Evans <paule@shadowfax.martex.GEN.OH.US>
From: Karl Maftoum <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/1997 07:57:24
On Fri, 30 May 1997, Paul Evans wrote:

> I think perhaps LILO is onw of the best boot loaders for a PC I've
> ever run across. (Besides Solaris2.5's)

:)

> I think a sun3-style command line multi-OS bootloader w/ diagnostics
> would be invaluable. (inc. some memory tests etc.)

I was actually thinking along those lines something to test the net
interfaces etc... I actually used to run minix-86 and it had a very nice
bootloader/monitor, the monitor part is unecessary but it had nice menu
options for boot device, swap etc.... I sketched a design for the loader
in a maths lecture yesterday, I have a small image compiled that prints
out some diagnostics (machine type etc) then initializes the lance and
halts.. I'll do some work on it tonight and see what I come up with..

Cheers
Karl

Karl Maftoum
Computer Engineering Student at the University of Canberra, Australia

Email: k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au