Subject: Re: More VS2000 booting problems
To: None <brianc@carpediem.com>
From: Enrik Berkhan <enrik@akk.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/1997 22:54:15
Brian D. Chase wrote:

> on the problems he observed with Linux's ARP/RARP support.  I looked at it
> over this past weekend and Enrik's suggestion of using "arp -d hostname"
> worked great in resolving the problems with the Linux bootparamd daemon
> not answering the client side "whoami" requests.

And there's an obviously better solution:

Just set the forward arp entry (arp -s <hostname> <hwaddr>) immediately
before setting the reverse arp entry (rarp -s <hostname> <hwaddr>). It
will be set permanently then and stays in the table even if the VAX
crashes not answering arp requests anymore.

Alan Cox pointed me to that when I reported the somewhat strange behaviour
of the Linux kernel to him.

Enrik

P.S.: Haven't tested that yet, mailed it anyway ;-)
--
enrik@akk.uni-karlsruhe.de