Subject: Re: netbooting MicroVAX-II
To: None <VSL@dog.crec.mipt.ru>
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/29/1997 22:12:28
On Fri, 30 May 1997 VSL@dog.crec.mipt.ru wrote:
>  Sorry, $SUBJ was "netbooting MicroVAX-II" and I asked, how can I do it

Ahhhh. Okay. Now I feel stupid.  (*Not* the first time).

---

A couple weeks ago I asked the same thing as I've got a DEQNA in a
diskless MicroVAX II.  Ragge's reply to port-vax was that the network
bootloader did not yet have a standalone ethernet driver for the DEQNA
adapter.  So even though you can mopload the bootloader, it doesn't do
much good as it can't talk to the network.  Ragge did mention that writing
a standalone DEQNA driver was on his list of things to get done RSN.

I did look at the DEQNA driver in the kernel and thought to myself
"neato".  I haven't dug deep enough to see what it'd be like to try and
reapply the code in the kernel to a standalone drive.  It'd probably be a
really fun exercise in futility for me though -- yet rewarding
nonetheless.

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --