Subject: Re: More VS2000 booting problems
To: Karl Maftoum <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/29/1997 19:20:53
On Thu, 29 May 1997, Karl Maftoum wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 1997, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>
> > > - who's successfully booted a VS2000, which netbsd kernel you used?
> > > - who's successfully booted MicroVAX 3100's (all models) and which kernel
> > >   you used?
> > >
> > A MV2000 should boot up from the "official" distribution.
> > A MV3100 may boot depending of type, phase of moon etc. from Bertram's
> > support work.

> Just for the record, I have booted my VS2000 with NetBSD from my linux
> box up till the "Unable to mount root device" stage... i.e. I just booted
> the kernel to see if it would work.

Good to know.  Did you use the official NetBSD kernel or the renegade
German kernel?

[ Newsflash:  European Union dissolves because of NetBSD/VAX kernel
development disputes. ]

> I am also working on a enhanced bootloader for VAXlinux that should also
> work with NetBSD, but exams are coming up so don't hold your breath :)

Oooh. Enhanced in what respect?  Something like Linux's LILO?

-brian.
Brian D. Chase         Systems Coordinator        brian.chase@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --